Wedding Cake Competition
Grand Sierra Resort, Reno, Nevada
Entry Deadline: July 20, 2020
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
Please read these rules carefully, as non-compliance could result in disqualification.
- The Theme is The Art of Cake (Cake Inspired by Art.)
- This Wedding Cake Competition is open to anyone, of any skill level.
- Competitors do not have to be registered for Cake Expo to participate.
- Entry Fee: $25 per entry.
- All entries must be submitted using the online registration form by July 20, 2020.
- No entry fees will be refunded under any circumstances.
- There will be two (2) division in the competition based on skill level.
- Beginner – Intermediate: Anyone who decorates cakes either as a hobbyist or professionally who doesn’t fit the criteria for a
- Professional: Anyone who has been decorating more than five (5) years. Has taken 100 or more hours of sugar art classes; is an ICES Certified Sugar Artist or Master Sugar Artist; is an ACF Certified Executive Pastry Chef; creates cakes for sale as a full time profession; has more than three years commercial decorating experience; demonstrates/teaches (or has taught) classes in advanced cake decorating and sugar art techniques (beyond basic icing/piping skills); is a sugar art author, or is a cake show
- The wedding cake needs to be an original cake, the work of only the It must be at least 3 tiers of cake, which would be enough to serve 100.
- Beginner/Intermediate: The entire entry must fit within a 24”x 30” table
Advanced/Professional: The entry will be displayed on a 72” round table. A basic white table covering will be provided, you are welcome to provide another table covering if desired.
- The cake can be made of Styrofoam cake dummies but must be common shapes that can be made in normal cake pans. Other shapes will need to be made from real cake and have enough photos to show the carving process and structure (a minimum of 3 photos). If photos are not available, the entry will be ineligible for prizes.
- The cake should be made as if it were a real cake to be eaten, no wires touching actual cake, using straws, or edible FDA approved medium for items touching the cake. Where at all possible, everything seen should be edible. Non-edible mediums that are used will not count for points in techniques etc., and it could detract from the points if there is a way to make the design with an edible material.
- ICES does not encourage, support or approve of the use of copyrighted images in displays at the Cake Expo 2020.
- All entries must be original work for this show. For the purposes of this show, original means the entry may not have been entered in any other contest or competition, including online; and photos of the entry may not have been previously posted online, including social media Additionally, no personal or business identifying marks, advertisements, will be allowed to be displayed along with or on the entry, or in the entry description.
- Entries must be set up on Thursday, July 30th between 8 am – 5 pm in the Exhibition Hall.
- Judging will start on Friday, July 31st at 9:00 am. All entries will be provided the judging sheets for feedback.
- The decision of the judges is Final.
- Prizes will be awarded: $200 First, $100 Second, and $50 Third place in each division. Additional prizes may be awarded. The winners will be announced at the Saturday Awards Banquet.
- Photographs of the event will be By participating in this competition, you agree that photos/videos of you and/or your cake may be used in promotional material. See the release statement on the registration form.
- Cakes must be picked up between 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm on Sunday, August 2nd.
- Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Skill and precision of Techniques (20 pts)
- Originality and Creativity (20 pts)
- Number and Difficulty of Techniques (15 pts)
- Proportion and Balance (15 pts)
- Use of Color (15 pts)
- Overall Eye Appeal/Judge’s Discretion (15 pts)
- A total of 100 points may be earned from the judging panel.
- The decision of the judges is final.
By making a registration payment you agree to the above rules and regulations.